Sunday, January 24, 2010

Grilled Meatloaf Sandwich


My eldest brother got me hooked on meatloaf sandwiches when I was little. It took him quite some time to convince me that they were good and I was reluctant to try one….but I eventually caved in. He took two slices of bread, placed a cold slice of meatloaf on one, covered the meatloaf with ketchup and then topped it off with the second slice of bread. To my surprise, it was very good! This has been my preferred way of eating leftover meatloaf ever since. That is, until recently…….

About a year ago, a friend and I made our first trip to Patterson’s Café, where I ate my first grilled meatloaf sandwich. Patterson’s Cafe, located in Oxford, OH, is one of those restaurants that serves only breakfast and lunch and then closes at 2:00 or 3:00 PM. Since, they serve breakfast all day, it was a difficult choice for me...I couldn’t decide whether to order breakfast or lunch. I love breakfast and whenever I’m at a restaurant that serves it all day, I usually choose that, but when I saw the grilled meatloaf sandwich on the menu, I decided to give it a try....and I'm glad I did. It's the best meatloaf sandwich that I've ever had! It’s served with a dill pickle spear (I love dill pickles and can never find any that taste as good as the ones that are served in restaurants), and a bag of potato chips….and is more than I can eat. By the way, Patterson's Cafe does make an awesome breakfast too.

It’s been a while since I’ve eaten this sandwich, so I may not have the exact ingredients, but I know it’s close. They use Texas Toast size bread....and I think it may be sourdough. I used a good white bread....in other words, no Wonder or Butternut....I now wish I had used whole wheat. I'm not sure what type of cheese they put on their sandwich, but I think it's Monterey Jack. ...so that's what I used.

Bread
Meatloaf slice(s) - I used Mom's Meatloaf recipe
Onion, sliced or chopped and sauted
Monterey Jack Cheese, sliced
Butter


Saute onion in butter until soft.


Butter one side of each slice of bread....just like when making grilled cheese.


Place cheese slices on unbuttered side of bread.


Place a slice of meatloaf on cheese.


Spread onions over the meatloaf.


Top with more cheese.


 Place second slice of bread on top....buttered side facing up.



 Grill....If you have a panini press/maker you may want to use it....I actually considered using the Foreman grill. I was afraid, since the sandwich was so thick, that the bread would burn before the cheese melted, but it worked out fine. It was a little difficult to turn over.


This was as good as the grilled meatloaf sandwich that I order at Patterson's Cafe....even Michael liked it and he's not much of a sandwich eater. He liked it so much that even though he put ketchup on his plate to dip the sandwich in, he didn't use it. I feel the same way, I omit the ketchup too...and I always have ketchup with meatloaf.

7 comments:

Patti T. said...

My husband would LOVE that sandwich. I will have to tell him how you made it. I don't eat onions but he loves them.

Tangos Treasures said...

OMGosh that looks so good!! I have some friends that were just talking about meat loaf sandwiches.
Guess I'm gonna have to try it!

Shane T. Wingerd said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! That is even BETTER than I thought... I am drooling on my keyboard as I type this... AWESOME

Unknown said...

OOOMG!!! that looks incredible! thats like a patty melt on steroids (and i looove patty melts). my family isn't real hip on meatloaf but I might make them "suffer" thought it just so I can make this!!! btw.....I'm the same way with breakfast at a place the serves it all day...YUM!

Cookiebaker said...

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Patti - you could make this without the onions and I'm sure it would still be delicious.

Tango - meatloaf sandwiches are so good...and this one is even better.

Shane - I saw your comment on my meatloaf post...you were just expecting a plain old meatloaf sandwich, weren't you...

Danielle - I hope you can convince the family to eat meatloaf again so you can try this. You and I like a lot of the same foods...I too love patty melts...and you're right, this is like a patty melt only as Emeril says, it's "taken up a notch."

Spryte said...

Interesting!! I LOVE meatloaf sandwiches but had never considered grilling one! I usually eat them cold. Does the meatloaf heat through?

Cookiebaker said...

Spryte - yes, even though I had my slices a little on the thick side, they did heat through. I would slice them a little thinner than what is pictured...I think they would be a little easier to turn.

Related Posts with Thumbnails