Sunday, August 23, 2009

Tropical Fruit Cake


I had this cake for the first time at work. One of the girls I work with found it on the Taste of Home site and decided to share it with us. We all really liked it. I had it again at my family reunion last July. My niece, Pam, had made it, substituting low/no sugar and low fat ingredients...it still was delicious. Michael liked it a lot! So I decided that I would make this cake for Michael's birthday and since he's diabetic, would make it as sugar/fat free as possible.

Thursday, Michael and I went to Giant Eagle to do our grocery shopping for the weekend and I decided to get the ingredients for the fruit cake. I couldn't find a sugar free cake and couldn't find fruit in it's own juice, but did get the light syrup style, I used sugar free pudding and light Cool Whip.

This is a very good cake...light and fruity tasting. As much as I like icing on cakes, this Cool Whip version is a nice change...not as sickeningly sweet.


1 yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1 can mandrin oranges (use liquid -- (11 oz.)
Icing
1 regular size Cool Whip
1 large can crushed pineapple - I think it was about a 15 oz can (use liquid)
1 small pack pecan chips
1 package reg. size box instant vanilla pudding -- (do not mix up the pudding just pour it in dry)

Heat oven to 350

Mix cake mix, eggs, oil and oranges for about 2 minutes with mixer on lowspeed
Pour in cake pan (make sure to grease and flour pan or use PAM spray)
Bake 25-35 minutes, cake is done when inserted toothpick comes out clean

Mix ingredients for icing well, spread on cooled cake and sprinkle pecans on top, then refrigerate.


 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails